Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Retirement - In Retrospect

After working for 35 years in the government service, I took my mandatory retirement in August 2001 at a relative "young age" of 55. From October 2011, the retirement age was extended to 56, then to 58 and now it is 60. 

While I did not really plan for my retirement, however, going back to work for a few more years wherever my experience and expertise are needed was a tempting option. I thought that I would like to continue working for just a few more years to keep myself active and then enjoy my full retirement to "smell the roses". However, one thing lead to another and I worked for another 10 years. So if we want, government retirees can still enjoy gainful employment for an additional income to their monthly pension.

Came this January 2012, I decided that I should really quite full-time employment and just work as a free lance consultant. And its working out well!

Upon retiring from government service I joined a private company to experience how the private sector works. I learned that it was all about making quick money and with odd and often unreasonable hours. That definitely was not what I opted for as a "post-retirement career". I took my leave after 10 months.

A golden opportunity came along when I was offered a position in an International organisation, a position that matches well with my experience and expertise. I stayed on with it for slightly more than 9 years until this January 2012, when the sparkle begin to dim and I realised its time "to smell the roses!".

During this period of 10 years, I also had the opportunity of serving as an International Consultant with some organisations within the United Nations and other international donor agencies. There were opportunities of working in foreign countries, with totally different cultures. Lots of traveling and visiting beautiful and exotic places. Serving as an International Consultant is a very enriching experience, interacting with consultants of various nationalities and people of different cultures and mindsets which often are totally different from our own. Each of these consultancy missions was for a period of at least a month. This is a good time period to really appreciate the countries and interact with the people, unlike being a tourist when you go, see and leave. The period would also not make you feel too homesick! I treat consultancy missions as working vacations!

In retrospect, my post-retirement 10 years had been eventful, productive and a blessed journey. And I could not have asked for more considering I am "officially retired".

I had the opportunity of working in and visiting a number of countries. Most memorable trips are to Fiji (2002), Dhaka in Bangladesh (3 times in 2003), Rome in Italy (2003), Manila in Philippines (2003), Phnom Penh in Cambodia (2003), Bangkok in Thailand (2004), Surabaya in Indonesia (2004), Syria (4 trips in 2005-2008, its a pity this beautiful country is in great turmoil now), Guangzhou in China (a couple of trips during 2006 - 2011), Northern Mindanao in Philippines (2007), Bhutan (2007), Bogor in Indonesia (2008), Paris in France (2008), Bandung in Indonesia (2011), Lagos in Nigeria (2011), Younde in Cameroon (2011) and Laos (3 times in 2009, 2 times in 2012, with one coming soon).

There were also many happy and memorable vacation tours with my family during the last 10 years.

And now I am still engaged with consultancy services on a short term assignment basis, both locally and overseas. I am now making full use of my little SOHO (Small Office, Home Office), a pleasant space renovated for my retirement retreat, equipped with Wifi and sound system!
True to Ernie J. Zelinski's book "How To Retire Happy, Wild, and Free".
I should continue with this retirement joy for as long as I can!


Nadi, Capital of Fiji
Dhaka, City of Trishaws

Taking a trishaw ride to town in Dhaka
Statue of Saladin, Damascus, Syria

Damascus, Capital city of Syria

Beijing Ru, Guangzhou, China

With my Filipino friends in Northern Mindanao, Philippines
Visiting a rural school in Northern Mindanao, Philippines
Dzong (Buddhist Temple), Bhutan

Morning Market, Thimphu, Bhutan

Thimphu, Capital City of Bhutan
Tat Luang (The Golden Stupa) in Vientiane, Laos

Patuxay (Victory Gate), Vientiane, Laos

Buddhist Monks receiving alms, Luang Prabang, Laos
Younde, Capital City of Cameroon, Africa
Bogor, Indonesia
Eiffel Tower, Paris, France



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...